
Today was a SCORCHER. May is underway, and I am loving it already.
Things I am looking forward to this month:
The end of final exams. Friday is too far away.
The start of my internship at Philadelphia Magazine.
The celebration of my 21 years of age. Finally.
I guess I am too young to know what a “cold one” tastes like…but I’m sure I could use one right now.
Besides these exciting personal events, which have nothing to do with you, my small handful of possibly devoted readers, May does bestow many great things.
The best produce to buy in May:
Pretty much anything green. This includes brussel sprouts, spinach, peas, lettuce, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, and herbs.
Additionally, spring onions, radishes, strawberries, rhubarb, cauliflower, and watercress are currently in season.
Notice I didn’t mention watermelon. Thank gosh for domestic imports and Produce Junction’s flexible Sunday hours, because I was absolutely craving a cold watermelon-cucumber-feta salad. I am so sorry, I am going completely against everything this blog is supposed to represent (seasonal produce). But I just had to!!!
Last summer my sister found a recipe for a watermelon salad with feta cheese. Before I even laid eyes on the salad my mouth started watering. It was hot that day. And that salad…mmm it was good stuff.
In a hot sweat, frantic to relieve my craving, I searched through my kitchen to find the recipe. I was unable to locate the recipe so I instead concocted something from memory, throwing some extra ingredients into the mix. I was desperate.
The salad was crisp, cold, and juicy. Sweet, salty, and spicy flavors exploded in my mouth.
Ahhhh. So refreshing.

Watermelon-Cucumber-Feta Salad
Ingredients:
2 cups watermelon, diced
¾ cup cucumber, diced
¼ cup sweet onions, diced
3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3 tbsp olive oil
fresh mint, finely chopped
salt
pepper
¼ cup feta cheese
Directions:
Combine watermelon, cucumber, and sweet onions in a medium bowl. In a separate small bowl mix lemon juice, olive oil, mint, salt and pepper together. Pour dressing over top of the salad, adding feta cheese on top.
tasted so good! thanks
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for Produce Junction!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you liked my recipe!!! That one's a keeper!
ReplyDelete